R8 v Adelaide United | Sun 1st Dec | 8:00pm | SS7

martinb
Marquee
FilledFilledFilledFilledEmpty
For post default

We bloody won in Adelaide! Bossed it too, didn't steal it

pacy

newzealandpower
Fever Funder Marquee
FilledFilledFilledFilledEmpty
For post picture 919

To me Sotirio has been equally frustrating AND exciting to watch. He reminds me of David Williams in his early days (NQF). Devastating down the flanks, pace-galore, but not always sharp in front of goal.

I think given his age, he can only improve. Think if he starts banging them him - with him firing, Davila ever the goal scorer, Ball who broke his duck and of course Hooper to boot...we could do very well indeed. And I haven't even thrown McCowatt and Waine in the mix.

VUW AFC - Victoria University Football for life

mrsmiis
Starting XI
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post kmnocxjk

He seemed kind of down about his playing situation and the criticism he was getting, judging by the posts on his instagram. Still not a worldbeater by any means but I'm happy to see him filling out the stats sheet a bit more and making the most out of the opportunity Talay's given him. Still iffy on him starting but seems like a great guy and he certainly offers a lot we don't have otherwise!

TreeFiddy
WeeNix
FilledFilledEmptyEmptyEmpty
For post hqdefault

ballane wrote:

TreeFiddy wrote:

ballane wrote:

Also dont think experience really matters if your expecting him to score he should really have done better with those to chances. Not having a crack as like him just saying there seems to be double standards applied to some players.

Double standards? You're comparing a player with 6 years A-League experience with WSW (81 games) to a kid who joined this year and has only played 7 A-league games (according to Wiki). Not exactly apples.

Sorry cant agree at all,same standard should apply if your good enough to take the field why should less be expected from him. Seems Talay appreciated what Sotirio brings far more than others. Thankfully its him selecting the team.

valeo
Legend
FilledFilledFilledFilledFilled
For post 95661448 10

Feverish wrote:

Niche Cache wrote-

But you do have to wonder if maybe McCowatt and Piscopo ought to both be starting because we’ve seen a lot of Jaushua Sotirio so far and it’s not quite clicking. It’s the same old story every time, this dude looks fantastic in the build up and then he gets into the penalty area and forgets how to play footy. Poetically he almost won a penalty but of course it turned out the contact was made outside the area because it’s Sotirio so of course it was – he’d have already bundled it out for a goal kick otherwise. It was that one on one he wasted in the first half though, that was the infuriating one. He didn’t even look like scoring

http://theniche-cache.com/football/2019/12/2/and-thus-the-welly-nix-are-properly-up-and-running

I usually agree with the Niche Cache but that's harsh - especially the 1on1 chance where he megged the keeper and it was accidentally saved by his supporting arm

a.haak

ballane
Marquee
FilledFilledFilledFilledEmpty
For post ph2

could say pot kettle black but no point

GET YOUR SHIRTS OFF FOR THE BOYS

Mainland FC
Marquee
FilledFilledFilledFilledEmpty
For post pogon szczecin

Joey Johns wrote:

but does Josh offer more than McCowatt or Waine? id like to see Waine offered the same chances tbh as he is clearly more skillfull and arguably just as quick.

My biggest fear is that we have another Rojas/Boyd situation developing. 

El Grap has already answered in detail; so I will only add one more point without repeating.  You would be taking a big risk by staking your season's chances on a pair of youngsters as starters. Sotirio is a regular starter now and has the stamina to get through a full game. Overusing McCowatt and Waine would risks an injury to either or both (think Fenton). 

Also, starting a young player requires them reading a game early on (expect a lot of shouting from Talay on the sidelines in such case).  Instead it is much easier for Talay or rather for Greenie to sit through first half with a youngster like Waine and say "if this happens, then that's what you would need to do" etc.  

Actually, getting outplayed quite a bit these days

Bullion
Starting XI
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post 96760213 m 2

valeo wrote:

Feverish wrote:

Niche Cache wrote-

But you do have to wonder if maybe McCowatt and Piscopo ought to both be starting because we’ve seen a lot of Jaushua Sotirio so far and it’s not quite clicking. It’s the same old story every time, this dude looks fantastic in the build up and then he gets into the penalty area and forgets how to play footy. Poetically he almost won a penalty but of course it turned out the contact was made outside the area because it’s Sotirio so of course it was – he’d have already bundled it out for a goal kick otherwise. It was that one on one he wasted in the first half though, that was the infuriating one. He didn’t even look like scoring

http://theniche-cache.com/football/2019/12/2/and-thus-the-welly-nix-are-properly-up-and-running

I usually agree with the Niche Cache but that's harsh - especially the 1on1 chance where he megged the keeper and it was accidentally saved by his supporting arm

A little bit harsh but does point out that so often a lot of the good work Sotirio does, getting into good areas, is undone by poor decisions/touch/shot/header. He is doing a job and it seems the negative aspects of his game are overlooked because there is no one else in the squad shown to offer what Sotirio does well - lots of running and running quickly. But that is the crux of the HAL, when you start to blend technical ability and good decision making with physical attributes - those players end up in better leagues and very expensive.
djtim3000
First Team Squad
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post default

Remember when these multipage discussions on the merits (or otherwise) of a specific player after every single game (the designated scapegoat) were about Brown, and then Lia? Good times.

We never really replaced Tim Brown to be honest. A proper goal scoring central-midfielder.

el grapadura
Moderator
Fever Funder Woof Woof
FilledFilledFilledFilledFilled
For post picture 1609

Bullion wrote:

 But that is the crux of the HAL, when you start to blend technical ability and good decision making with physical attributes - those players end up in better leagues and very expensive.

This is absolutely right, I was also actually going to say last night that if Sotirio was a good finisher, he wouldn't be in the A-league.

Feverish
Legend
FilledFilledFilledFilledFilled
For post picture 6

el grapadura wrote:

Bullion wrote:

 But that is the crux of the HAL, when you start to blend technical ability and good decision making with physical attributes - those players end up in better leagues and very expensive.

This is absolutely right, I was also actually going to say last night that if Sotirio was a good finisher, he wouldn't be in the A-league.

I hope to see him playing in another league next season then 

Founder

Napier Phoenix
Life and death
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post image

Turfmoore wrote:

One thing that really concerns me is that with Sotirio's performances getting appreciated more widely, we are really struggling for a scapegoat. I thought Ball might emerge as a candidate, but he went and put in a(nother) good performance and capped it off with GOAL! 

This lack of a scapegoat could be a real gap in the team. I'm not sure how we will manage.

Why don't we just use Rudan? That way we protect our guys and scapegoat an absolute cod!!!!!
Joey Johns
WeeNix
FilledFilledEmptyEmptyEmpty
For post shermy

 He reminds me of David Williams in his early days (NQF). 

Yup probably the best description of Josh tbh

yung thug

el grapadura
Moderator
Fever Funder Woof Woof
FilledFilledFilledFilledFilled
For post picture 1609

Feverish wrote:

el grapadura wrote:

Bullion wrote:

 But that is the crux of the HAL, when you start to blend technical ability and good decision making with physical attributes - those players end up in better leagues and very expensive.

This is absolutely right, I was also actually going to say last night that if Sotirio was a good finisher, he wouldn't be in the A-league.

I hope to see him playing in another league next season then 

I'm sure he'd bang them in for the Wharf in Central League.

number8
Starting XI
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post flag

It was an overall great performance. When they had the ball we holding our lines, they had a fluke goal but we continue to controll the game and after scoring the 1st I knew we would win. The team seems in good spirit and is willing to work and fight hard. Yes, we should, could scored more early on. If Hooper is fit to play some of those chances we create will be turned into goals, his touches and movements are sublime. Ball's goal was well deserved, such hard working player, he runs 90min like a mad men. Davilla is my favourite player, he is everything I hoped for, a creative midfielder who he loves to play, tight controls and can score. 

I'm happy.

Mainland FC
Marquee
FilledFilledFilledFilledEmpty
For post pogon szczecin

djtim3000 wrote:

Remember when these multipage discussions on the merits (or otherwise) of a specific player after every single game (the designated scapegoat) were about Brown, and then Lia? Good times.

We never really replaced Tim Brown to be honest. A proper goal scoring central-midfielder.

... I give you....

Actually, getting outplayed quite a bit these days

billyspleen75
Trialist
FilledEmptyEmptyEmptyEmpty
For post default

Mainland FC wrote:

djtim3000 wrote:

Remember when these multipage discussions on the merits (or otherwise) of a specific player after every single game (the designated scapegoat) were about Brown, and then Lia? Good times.

We never really replaced Tim Brown to be honest. A proper goal scoring central-midfielder.

... I give you....

#NotA Central Midfielder

Bullion
Starting XI
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post 96760213 m 2

Mainland FC wrote:

djtim3000 wrote:

Remember when these multipage discussions on the merits (or otherwise) of a specific player after every single game (the designated scapegoat) were about Brown, and then Lia? Good times.

We never really replaced Tim Brown to be honest. A proper goal scoring central-midfielder.

... I give you....

#NotA Central Midfielder

Given how often Brown had Lia and Muscat in midfield so that he could score goals ...
valeo
Legend
FilledFilledFilledFilledFilled
For post 95661448 10

djtim3000 wrote:

Remember when these multipage discussions on the merits (or otherwise) of a specific player after every single game (the designated scapegoat) were about Brown, and then Lia? Good times.

We never really replaced Tim Brown to be honest. A proper goal scoring central-midfielder.

I reckon if Brown was playing right now he wouldn't get anywhere near an A-League starting berth. Wasn't a DM. Needed two screeners behind him, but also wasn't an AM with much creativity..

Basically the A-League's version of Aaron Ramsey

a.haak

theprof
Marquee
FilledFilledFilledFilledEmpty
For post wenger trophies

Mainland FC wrote:

djtim3000 wrote:

Remember when these multipage discussions on the merits (or otherwise) of a specific player after every single game (the designated scapegoat) were about Brown, and then Lia? Good times.

We never really replaced Tim Brown to be honest. A proper goal scoring central-midfielder.

... I give you....

#NotA Central Midfielder

and yet that's where he is playing his best for us. central attacking midfielder!

Queenslander 3x a year.

Post New Reply

Please Login or Create an account to post a reply.