Large kwblarge

South Island League

AllWhites82
Marquee
FilledFilledFilledFilledEmpty
For post picture 6103

Final Table:

Team P W D L F A GD Pts
Cashmere Technical 7 6 1 0 20 5 15 19
Nomads 7 4 2 1 23 10 13 14
Ferrymead Bays 7 3 3 1 14 10 4 12
Nelson Suburbs 7 3 1 3 14 10 4 10
Queenstown Rovers 7 3 0 4 14 32 -18 9
Coastal Spirit 7 2 1 4 21 14 7 7
Dunedin Technical 7 1 2 4 11 17 -6 5
Southland United 7 1 0 6 4 23 -19 3

AllWhites82
Marquee
FilledFilledFilledFilledEmpty
For post picture 6103

Stats for the League:

121 goals scored, 53 for home team and 68 for away team at an average of 4.32 goals per game.

52 goals scored in first half and 69 scored after the break.

9 home wins,14 away wins with 5 score draws.

7 penalties, 4 own goals and 11 clean sheets.

Clean sheets - Cashmere Tech 4, Nomads and Suburbs 2 each and Bays, Coastal and Dunedin Tech one each.

Cashmere Tech, Nomads and Bays scored in every round, Coastal and Dunedin Tech six each, Queenstown Rovers 5, Suburbs 4, and Southland Utd 3.

Penalties scored: Cashmere Tech 2,Coastal 2, Nomads 2, Dunedin Tech 1.

Own goals conceded: Suburbs 2, Rovers 1 Southland United 1

AllWhites82
Marquee
FilledFilledFilledFilledEmpty
For post picture 6103

Top scorers for the SFL:

Goals Player Club
10 Byron Heath Nomads
7 Ashley Wellbourn Coastal Spirit
7 Stephen Hoyle Nomads
6 Lyle Matthysen Cashmere Technical
5 Aaron Clapham Cashmere Technical
5 Josh Cartman Queenstown Rovers
5 Eddie Sillars Nelson Suburbs
4 Alistair Rickerby Dunedin Technical
4 Jan Kumar Queenstown Rovers
4 Mark Peers Ferrymead Bays
3 Adam Hewson Queenstown Rovers
3 Haris Zeb Coastal Spirit
3 Juan Chang Ferrymead Bays
3 Liam Hare Coastal Spirit
3 Ryan Stewart Nelson Suburbs
3 Sho Mathieson Ferrymead Bays
3 Tom Schwarz Cashmere Technical
Tekkers
Phoenix Academy
FilledFilledEmptyEmptyEmpty
For post ccufqeuweaattpe

https://www.odt.co.nz/sport/football/qualification...

Latest update on South Island league - more meetings

VimFuego
Starting XI
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post picture 901

Even if they don't make it the top 3 of the Dunedin League qualify (let's say they just take the 3 teams that are willing to pay and play) they're never going to get around the fact that they aren't going to know the draw until heaps late. With Chch still doing the top 5, the draw will always be up in the air right until the league is cut and dry top 5 bottom 3. It was pretty early enough in 2018 but still... 

I would have thought all of this would be sorted by now. 

I let my guitar speak for me

Noel 76'
Trialist
FilledEmptyEmptyEmptyEmpty
For post default

VimFuego wrote:

Even if they don't make it the top 3 of the Dunedin League qualify (let's say they just take the 3 teams that are willing to pay and play) they're never going to get around the fact that they aren't going to know the draw until heaps late. With Chch still doing the top 5, the draw will always be up in the air right until the league is cut and dry top 5 bottom 3. It was pretty early enough in 2018 but still... 

I would have thought all of this would be sorted by now. 

Can any of the clubs in Dunedin actually afford it?

reubee
Trialist
FilledEmptyEmptyEmptyEmpty
For post default

Noel 76' wrote:

VimFuego wrote:

Even if they don't make it the top 3 of the Dunedin League qualify (let's say they just take the 3 teams that are willing to pay and play) they're never going to get around the fact that they aren't going to know the draw until heaps late. With Chch still doing the top 5, the draw will always be up in the air right until the league is cut and dry top 5 bottom 3. It was pretty early enough in 2018 but still... 

I would have thought all of this would be sorted by now. 

Can any of the clubs in Dunedin actually afford it?

Thats why you should have a format where the fixtures are determined before season starts, have a travel equalisation policy, and negotiate in bulk with the travel providers.  The existing format looks like it was designed by a committee with compromise everywhere.

I'd have an 8 team league/conference in each of the two regions, play each time in your conference twice, and those in the opposing conference once, 22 games in total.  This means you have four away games to the other conference.  This can be done as two weekends away which can be played as double-headers on a Friday night and Sunday afternoon.  A final between two conference winners at end of season, possibly even a final for each conference as well.  Relegation from the bottom of each conference to regional league. If you mandate a reserves team as well, the reserves don't need to play the intra-conference games

Co-ordinate with Air New Zealand as to when there four quietest weekends are so that you get a good rate on airfares and accomodation etc, and arrange fixtures accordingly.  Book flights, accomodation, minivans etc in January.

So you know as a club that if you accept entry into the league that your equalised costs for the season are going to include the equivalent of two weekends away to the other half of the island, as a player you may have to take two half days leave on a Friday, and your liver may take a hit on two weekends. 

Noel 76'
Trialist
FilledEmptyEmptyEmptyEmpty
For post default

reubee wrote:

Noel 76' wrote:

VimFuego wrote:

Even if they don't make it the top 3 of the Dunedin League qualify (let's say they just take the 3 teams that are willing to pay and play) they're never going to get around the fact that they aren't going to know the draw until heaps late. With Chch still doing the top 5, the draw will always be up in the air right until the league is cut and dry top 5 bottom 3. It was pretty early enough in 2018 but still... 

I would have thought all of this would be sorted by now. 

Can any of the clubs in Dunedin actually afford it?

Thats why you should have a format where the fixtures are determined before season starts, have a travel equalisation policy, and negotiate in bulk with the travel providers.  The existing format looks like it was designed by a committee with compromise everywhere.

I'd have an 8 team league/conference in each of the two regions, play each time in your conference twice, and those in the opposing conference once, 22 games in total.  This means you have four away games to the other conference.  This can be done as two weekends away which can be played as double-headers on a Friday night and Sunday afternoon.  A final between two conference winners at end of season, possibly even a final for each conference as well.  Relegation from the bottom of each conference to regional league. If you mandate a reserves team as well, the reserves don't need to play the intra-conference games

Co-ordinate with Air New Zealand as to when there four quietest weekends are so that you get a good rate on airfares and accomodation etc, and arrange fixtures accordingly.  Book flights, accomodation, minivans etc in January.

So you know as a club that if you accept entry into the league that your equalised costs for the season are going to include the equivalent of two weekends away to the other half of the island, as a player you may have to take two half days leave on a Friday, and your liver may take a hit on two weekends. 

If reports from the early discussions are to be believered that what’s varsity wanted football south to promote but none of the other clubs in the area had any interest. 

VimFuego
Starting XI
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post picture 901
But the complicating factor is that it isn't just Dunedin and Chch. You gotta think about Igill Qtown and Nelson too. Not so easy to pre book everything.

I let my guitar speak for me

Tekkers
Phoenix Academy
FilledFilledEmptyEmptyEmpty
For post ccufqeuweaattpe

I highly doubt that a format / proposal supported only by Varsity was going to be good for the league / region. Few clubs in Dunedin have the structures in place and want to spend a bit more time / resources to ensure their best teams are playing in the best competitions available to them. 

Its just so frustrating that issues with the league / season ahead are never sorted well in advance. If Football South want to help clubs save money, and therefore be able to spend more on development etc, then sort out what the season looks like before Christmas. Even a plan or draw for half the season would be better, with the rest sorted before season start. 

When does the Mainland comp start? Football South doesn't usually start until March but if I recall, Mainland had played 5 or so games by then last year..

Delta
Trialist
FilledEmptyEmptyEmptyEmpty
For post default

The MPL draw is out and 1st game is set down for the 9th of March.

VimFuego
Starting XI
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post picture 901

Delta wrote:

The MPL draw is out and 1st game is set down for the 9th of March.

Hence why we can get through 2 rounds of an 8 team league, plus some CC rounds, before the South Island league starts. 

I let my guitar speak for me

Noel 76'
Trialist
FilledEmptyEmptyEmptyEmpty
For post default

Tekkers wrote:

I highly doubt that a format / proposal supported only by Varsity was going to be good for the league / region. Few clubs in Dunedin have the structures in place and want to spend a bit more time / resources to ensure their best teams are playing in the best competitions available to them. 

Its just so frustrating that issues with the league / season ahead are never sorted well in advance. If Football South want to help clubs save money, and therefore be able to spend more on development etc, then sort out what the season looks like before Christmas. Even a plan or draw for half the season would be better, with the rest sorted before season start. 

When does the Mainland comp start? Football South doesn't usually start until March but if I recall, Mainland had played 5 or so games by then last year..

Think the comment was lost in translation, was more angling that there’s not a lot of initiative coming out of the area. Which are the biggest clubs now, assume tech are up there.

FSobservation
Trialist
FilledEmptyEmptyEmptyEmpty
For post default

I think i'm right in saying Mosgiel and OUAFC are confirmed for the Southern Football League. Third team to be decided - think it's between Caversham and Queenstown

Steptoe
Phoenix Academy
FilledFilledEmptyEmptyEmpty
For post picture 6303

I think i'm right in saying Mosgiel and OUAFC are confirmed for the Southern Football League. Third team to be decided - think it's between Caversham and Queenstown

The last round of the MPL is to be played on 22nd June, which means that the earliest possible starting date for the SI League is 29th June (last year they needed a week's break to sort out the travel logistics due to the late qualification of Queenstown & Southland United). That suggests a four week break for Mosgiel, OUAFC and Cavvy(?) Do the respective coaches have to arrange friendlies to cover this gap? This is abysmal administration on the part of Football South, in not transitioning to a 2-round 8-team FSPL - they've had 2 years to sync the 2 SI qualifying competitions. 
james dean
Marquee
FilledFilledFilledFilledEmpty
For post normo

I think i'm right in saying Mosgiel and OUAFC are confirmed for the Southern Football League. Third team to be decided - think it's between Caversham and Queenstown

No Tech or Roslyn?  They were always very strong when I played down there and had plenty of cash

Normo's coming home

Noel 76'
Trialist
FilledEmptyEmptyEmptyEmpty
For post default

james dean wrote:

I think i'm right in saying Mosgiel and OUAFC are confirmed for the Southern Football League. Third team to be decided - think it's between Caversham and Queenstown

No Tech or Roslyn?  They were always very strong when I played down there and had plenty of cash

Can Mosgiel or varsity put up a fight in this league, what are their squads like. I’d guess Mosgiel will recruit but can varsity afford it.

FSobservation
Trialist
FilledEmptyEmptyEmptyEmpty
For post default

james dean wrote:

I think i'm right in saying Mosgiel and OUAFC are confirmed for the Southern Football League. Third team to be decided - think it's between Caversham and Queenstown

No Tech or Roslyn?  They were always very strong when I played down there and had plenty of cash

Roslyn are a decent side - just missing some x factor players. Tech are shocking this year, lost something like 15 first team players from last year and are not at the races.

FSobservation
Trialist
FilledEmptyEmptyEmptyEmpty
For post default

Noel 76' wrote:

james dean wrote:

I think i'm right in saying Mosgiel and OUAFC are confirmed for the Southern Football League. Third team to be decided - think it's between Caversham and Queenstown

No Tech or Roslyn?  They were always very strong when I played down there and had plenty of cash

Can Mosgiel or varsity put up a fight in this league, what are their squads like. I’d guess Mosgiel will recruit but can varsity afford it.

Mosgiel have heavily recruited, and have a brilliant midfield and attack - but they are vulnerable at the back to pace and directness. Varsity have a very thin squad, but a fit and firing starting 11 are different class to watch - they play as close to 'total football' as I have seen down here, though it does get them into trouble on occasions. Their little number 10 is outstanding. Caversham (should they qualify, which they will) are also a very solid opposition. Plenty of pace up top and some old heads at the back. If they could get Liam Little playing they would be another competitive team I think (hope)!

FSobservation
Trialist
FilledEmptyEmptyEmptyEmpty
For post default

Mosgiel, Otago University AFC, Caversham have qualified - bring it on! I think all 3 of these sides are better than what the South put up last year.

Post New Reply

Please Login or Create an account to post a reply.