Sam Malcomson? Nooooo! Bring back Billy Harris!

martinb
Marquee
FilledFilledFilledFilledEmpty
For post default

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c...

How about having some people talk about football in the paper with a) something to say b) some relevant connection to what's happening with this generation of players and fans c) Someone who is able to actually promote the sport a bit and also d) someone who can keep NZF on its toes?

Not someone who's column is what a bunch of soft pansies taking first class. I'd like to see you marking Bill Tuiloma Malcomson.

 Also how's that tough Scottish team of yours going?

Bring Billy Harris- at least he was kinda entertaining. 

pacy

Tegal
Moderator
Head Sleuth
FilledFilledFilledFilledFilled
For post 6a831056 9031 45d7 8d6d 949589ae360d

classic "back in my day" drivel

Allegedly

Frankie Mac
Marquee
FilledFilledFilledFilledEmpty
For post picture 345

former players such as Dave Taylor, Robert Ironside, Danny Halligan and the late Duncan Cole were not the biggest of men, yet were more than prepared to leave their calling card in a tackle. It's something I've yet to see in the current All Whites.

And I sure that there will be no criticism for any player who gets a straight red card in the first 10 minutes of our next game for going over the ball and leaving their "calling card" on the opposition player.

And bin the business class fights for the players - make them row to future overseas fixtures. It will help to build strength and team spirit.

All I do is make the stuff I would've liked
Reference things I wanna watch, reference girls I wanna bite
Now I'm firefly like a burning kite
And yousa fake fuck like a fleshlight

Lonegunmen
Legend
FilledFilledFilledFilledFilled
For post reacher

The problem with Malcolmson is that he and a few others are stuck in the "in my day" mentality. They just refuse to change along with the game. He is as boring as Billy Harris and Fred de Jongs Sky commentaries. Time to flag it Sam, if only you had taken up coaching and showed what you were made of instead of going into the media.

172 Consecutive "Home" Wellington Phoenix "A League" Games Attendee   

2ndBest
Moderator
Fever Funder Appiah without the pace
FilledFilledFilledFilledFilled
For post 1620805 10152445803254239 1114551251 n

He also stated this on the radio earlier in the week.

"At this time last year, Ernie had gone 7 or 8 games without defeat"

Actual record P9 W0 D4 L5

Jeff Vader
Cock
FilledFilledFilledFilledFilled
For post capture1

Back in his day, Malcolmsons 'lads' that he refers to, if they had played today, would not have finished the game.

I watched something last year on Brian Deane who was the first goalscorer in the EPL back in 92 and they showed some snippets from games and I was actually gobsmacked at the standard of tackles (that I thought I could remember but forgotten). Those tackles today would be instant red cards. His players would not have lasted.

And no. Lets not bring back Billy Harris. His articles were just as terrible. The best columnist on football right now is Steven Holloway. Still plays Northern League I think but thats a guy thats in touch with the game writing about it. Just needs to do it more.

Grumpy old bastard alert

Junior82
Legend
FilledFilledFilledFilledFilled
For post benny

Frankie Mac wrote:

former players such as Dave Taylor, Robert Ironside, Danny Halligan and the late Duncan Cole were not the biggest of men, yet were more than prepared to leave their calling card in a tackle. It's something I've yet to see in the current All Whites.

And I sure that there will be no criticism for any player who gets a straight red card in the first 10 minutes of our next game for going over the ball and leaving their "calling card" on the opposition player.

And bin the business class fights for the players - make them row to future overseas fixtures. It will help to build strength and team spirit.

And rowing is a proper sport so that's a bonus.

"Phoenix till they lose"

Posting 97% bollox, 8% lies and 3.658% genuine opinion. 

Genuine opinion: FTFFA

Smithy
Moderator
Stage Punch
FilledFilledFilledFilledFilled
For post wewant7

Lonegunmen wrote:

The problem with Malcolmson is that he just isn't very bright.

Fixed.

Incredible stamina. No shame. Yellow Fever.

Khalil Media
WeeNix
FilledFilledEmptyEmptyEmpty
For post kp pic

Robert Ironside not big??  the bloke was a tank

sthn.jeff
Marquee
FilledFilledFilledFilledEmpty
For post brick wall

TBdFSOE wrote:

Robert Ironside not big??  the bloke was a tank

Correct.

I think I still have one of his "calling cards" from when we were 16!

That said he probably has a couple of mine!

Jeff Vader
Cock
FilledFilledFilledFilledFilled
For post capture1

He was not a slight lad at all.

Grumpy old bastard alert

Khalil Media
WeeNix
FilledFilledEmptyEmptyEmpty
For post kp pic

His tackle on Paul Wade at Mt Smart in 1989 was awesome in every way... textbook...

Leggy
tradition and history
FilledFilledFilledFilledEmpty
For post picture 1332

Easy to take the piss out of someone that has actually done that.

I don't agree with every comment but he is correct that some players today have a very easy ride compared to the 80's.

Quick to slag him when after all, it is his opinion.

If you are old and wise you were probably young and stupid

valeo
Legend
FilledFilledFilledFilledFilled
For post 95661448 10

It's all relative, though, isn't it? What does the fact that the players in the 80's may of had it tougher have anything to do with the current All Whites' setup?

I'm sure it was tougher for every  footballer in the 80's compared to now..

Edited by valeo December 10, 2014 16:18

a.haak

Jeff Vader
Cock
FilledFilledFilledFilledFilled
For post capture1

valeo wrote:

It's all relative, though, isn't it? What does the fact that the players in the 80's may of had it tougher have anything to do with the current All Whites' setup?

I'm sure it was tougher for every  footballer in the 80's compared to now..

Key statement. Malcolmson may as well slag off every footballer since his day and age.

Grumpy old bastard alert

Leggy
tradition and history
FilledFilledFilledFilledEmpty
For post picture 1332

Jeff Vader wrote:

valeo wrote:

It's all relative, though, isn't it? What does the fact that the players in the 80's may of had it tougher have anything to do with the current All Whites' setup?

I'm sure it was tougher for every  footballer in the 80's compared to now..

Key statement. Malcolmson may as well slag off every footballer since his day and age.

Fact is, it his still his opinion. Just as you are entitled to your opinion.

If you are old and wise you were probably young and stupid

Jeff Vader
Cock
FilledFilledFilledFilledFilled
For post capture1

Leggy wrote:

Jeff Vader wrote:

valeo wrote:

It's all relative, though, isn't it? What does the fact that the players in the 80's may of had it tougher have anything to do with the current All Whites' setup?

I'm sure it was tougher for every  footballer in the 80's compared to now..

Key statement. Malcolmson may as well slag off every footballer since his day and age.

Fact is, it his still his opinion. Just as you are entitled to your opinion.

I have no problem with that. The problem is, that his opinion is so fudgeing wrong its not funny. What makes it worse is that he has been given a soapbox to broadcast it from. If he wants to tell his mates and anyone he talks to over a pint that stuff then fine but in MSM to every person that thinks he is a guru on football?

If Wynton Rufer came out in the press and said to make a good footballer, you need to cut off your two arms and right leg, would you go 'well its just an opinion'. I think not.

Grumpy old bastard alert

Jeff Vader
Cock
FilledFilledFilledFilledFilled
For post capture1

What disappoints me about this Leggy is that you, me and Malcolmson are same generation. Fortunately, I think I have managed to keep in touch with the modern game (just). I don't think you and Malcolmson have which is why your opinions generate such reaction. You might think that harsh, but back in our day, is not relevant to today. Back in our day we whipped the blacks and had them pick cotton. Might have been fine to tell them to toughen up then but today, it just does not happen because that does not happen. If Malcolmson can't stay in touch with the modern game and move on from 'his day' and accept that things are different and that the rules then are not the same as now, he needs to fudge off to a retirement home and stay out of the press. His comments do more harm than good.

Its compulsory to grow old, but not to grow up. Take this constructively but you gotta keep in touch with whats going on and look at the game through modern eyes and not the ones you wore when you were playing 'back in our day'

Edited by Jeff Vader December 10, 2014 16:50

Grumpy old bastard alert

Junior82
Legend
FilledFilledFilledFilledFilled
For post benny

"Phoenix till they lose"

Posting 97% bollox, 8% lies and 3.658% genuine opinion. 

Genuine opinion: FTFFA

Smithy
Moderator
Stage Punch
FilledFilledFilledFilledFilled
For post wewant7

Leggy wrote:

Quick to slag him when after all, it is his opinion.

That is a fair point. However, every toddler has an opinion but that doesn't mean they are worth putting into print.

It's a shame that, having been given a platform to say something he doesn't have something more erudite to say.

It's also a shame that the mainstream media is so lazy that they give him a platform. However, Fairfax being what they are this sort of forum thread is exactly what they're interested in - they don't care whether it's informative or thoughtful, they just care that people read it and talk about it. The more they hate it, the more they talk about it. So Billy Harris and Sam Malcolmson are gold for Fairfax. 

Stupid people with stupid opinions = clicks = ad impressions = profit.

Incredible stamina. No shame. Yellow Fever.

Post New Reply

Please Login or Create an account to post a reply.