Knockout Stage - Final | Vive la France

Yakcall
Moderator
The Stat Yak
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post elite

So Russia is through now it will just be a matter of who they play on what side of the draw but at the moment they top the group with a +7 goal difference, meaning they would meet the runner up of Group B.

Player: "What bloody game are you watching ref?"

Ref: "The one where you've had three shots and haven't hit the target."

Hows my refereeing? Whine Here

el grapadura
Moderator
Woof Woof
FilledFilledFilledFilledFilled
For post picture 1609

Russia is still not technically through, but realistically they are.

Yakcall
Moderator
The Stat Yak
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post elite

So Russia and Uruguay are confirmed now from Group A, will just be a matter of who finishes first and who they play in Group B which currently sees Spain and Portugal in 1st and 2nd with four points but Iran is 3rd with 3 points and plays Portugal in the last group game.

Player: "What bloody game are you watching ref?"

Ref: "The one where you've had three shots and haven't hit the target."

Hows my refereeing? Whine Here

Yakcall
Moderator
The Stat Yak
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post elite

More teams through overnight, In Group C France have qualified and it will come to down to the last two games of the group to see if Australia or Denmark will join them. In Group D, Croatia have finished in 1st place and it will be down to Iceland and Argentina to see who goes through with them

Player: "What bloody game are you watching ref?"

Ref: "The one where you've had three shots and haven't hit the target."

Hows my refereeing? Whine Here

el grapadura
Moderator
Woof Woof
FilledFilledFilledFilledFilled
For post picture 1609

Yakcall wrote:

More teams through overnight, In Group C France have qualified and it will come to down to the last two games of the group to see if Australia or Denmark will join them. In Group D, Croatia have finished in 1st place and it will be down to Iceland and Argentina to see who goes through with them

Croatia is not assured of 1st place in the group yet. And all other three teams in Group D can still qualify for the next round.

Yakcall
Moderator
The Stat Yak
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post elite

el grapadura wrote:

Yakcall wrote:

More teams through overnight, In Group C France have qualified and it will come to down to the last two games of the group to see if Australia or Denmark will join them. In Group D, Croatia have finished in 1st place and it will be down to Iceland and Argentina to see who goes through with them

Croatia is not assured of 1st place in the group yet. And all other three teams in Group D can still qualify for the next round.

I'm blaming that on tired brain, was just looking at the table forgetting that Iceland and Nigeria are playing overnight tonight

Player: "What bloody game are you watching ref?"

Ref: "The one where you've had three shots and haven't hit the target."

Hows my refereeing? Whine Here

Mainland FC
Starting XI
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post pogon szczecin

Yakcall wrote:

el grapadura wrote:

Yakcall wrote:

More teams through overnight, In Group C France have qualified and it will come to down to the last two games of the group to see if Australia or Denmark will join them. In Group D, Croatia have finished in 1st place and it will be down to Iceland and Argentina to see who goes through with them

Croatia is not assured of 1st place in the group yet. And all other three teams in Group D can still qualify for the next round.

I'm blaming that on tired brain, was just looking at the table forgetting that Iceland and Nigeria are playing overnight tonight

And now all the predictions have gone to the dogs. I really did not expect Iceland to succumb to this rampaging Nigerian team. Have to wait till the last round of group matches to see what happens. Nigeria will throw everything at Argentina in the last game as they will fancy a chance to win and progress.

Actually, getting outplayed quite a bit these days

Yakcall
Moderator
The Stat Yak
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post elite

Ok lets try this again.

Group A: Russia and Uruguay are both through and its just who will be top. Egypt and Saudis are out

Group B: Spain, Portugal and Iran all still in it, Morocco are out

Group C: France are through it will just be if Denmark or Australia are through with them, Peru is out.

Group D: Croatia through but Nigeria, Iceland and Argentina all still in it to go through with them.

Group E: Brazil, Switzerland, Serbia can all still qualify or be knocked out with only Costa Rica out.

Group F: All still to play for in this group, Mexico leading with 6 points but could still possibly end up third, South Korea most likely out but if they beat Germany and Mexico beat Sweden then they could actually still sneak in.

Group G: England and Belgium through and its just who is first, Tunisia and Panama out.

Group H: Japan, Senegal and Colombia playing for the two spots and Poland out.

Exciting week of games coming up

Player: "What bloody game are you watching ref?"

Ref: "The one where you've had three shots and haven't hit the target."

Hows my refereeing? Whine Here

el grapadura
Moderator
Woof Woof
FilledFilledFilledFilledFilled
For post picture 1609

It will be interesting to see to what extent the teams that have already been knocked out will impact on the final standings in their respective groups. I think that some will be more motivated/willing to do so than others.

Yakcall
Moderator
The Stat Yak
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post elite

So we see Uruguay v Portugal and Spain v Russia as first games confirmed for Round of 16

Player: "What bloody game are you watching ref?"

Ref: "The one where you've had three shots and haven't hit the target."

Hows my refereeing? Whine Here

2ndBest
Moderator
Appiah without the pace
FilledFilledFilledFilledFilled
For post 1620805 10152445803254239 1114551251 n

No that's it guaranteed to happy, but there is a good chance we'll have Uruguay, Portugal, France, Argentina, Brazil. Germany, England/Belgium on one side of the draw.

Yakcall
Moderator
The Stat Yak
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post elite

France, Denmark, Croatia and Argentina (just) through now. Setting up France v Argentina and Croatia v Denmark in the Round of 16.

Player: "What bloody game are you watching ref?"

Ref: "The one where you've had three shots and haven't hit the target."

Hows my refereeing? Whine Here

el grapadura
Moderator
Woof Woof
FilledFilledFilledFilledFilled
For post picture 1609

Percentages for 1H are sublime.

2ndBest
Moderator
Appiah without the pace
FilledFilledFilledFilledFilled
For post 1620805 10152445803254239 1114551251 n

Thought be happoer about the ones for 2E

bennie99
WeeNix
FilledFilledEmptyEmptyEmpty
For post default

If Brazil end up second it will be interesting to see what Mexico does in that final game if they want to avoid them. A draw and a big German win might suit them nicely.

bling blang blah
el grapadura
Moderator
Woof Woof
FilledFilledFilledFilledFilled
For post picture 1609

bennie99 wrote:

If Brazil end up second it will be interesting to see what Mexico does in that final game if they want to avoid them. A draw and a big German win might suit them nicely.

Group F plays the early games tomorrow, so Mexico won't know where Brazil will be ending up in their group until after Group F is done and dusted.

happydays
Phoenix Academy
FilledFilledEmptyEmptyEmpty
For post default

Before anyone suggests it, there is NO EASY SIDE OF THE DRAW! 

Yakcall
Moderator
The Stat Yak
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post elite

Now the Round of 16 is all confirmed, Japan is the first team to make the knock out rounds using the fair play tiebreaker after finishing on equal points, goal difference, number of goals scored in all group matches, and the game between them and Senegal finishing in a 2-2 draw. They go through on 4 yellow cards to Senegals 6.

Player: "What bloody game are you watching ref?"

Ref: "The one where you've had three shots and haven't hit the target."

Hows my refereeing? Whine Here

Oska
Marquee
FilledFilledFilledFilledEmpty
For post paul ifill o

happydays wrote:

Before anyone suggests it, there is NO EASY SIDE OF THE DRAW! 

Sure, but one side is clearly much easier than the other.

You know we belong together...

happydays
Phoenix Academy
FilledFilledEmptyEmptyEmpty
For post default

Oska wrote:

happydays wrote:

Before anyone suggests it, there is NO EASY SIDE OF THE DRAW! 

Sure, but one side is clearly much easier than the other.

How would that be? France and Argentina have been rubbish so far. Brazil haven't looked that great either. Some teams may have a bigger reputation but every WC shows us anything can happen, especially in the KO rounds. On the supposed weak side you still have Spain plus Croatia (3 wins out of 3 and playing as well as anyone). 

I find it a very strange mentality that says "I want my team to win but I don't want them to play any hard teams". At what point is it ok to start playing "big" teams? Because if you get to a quarter final and you're trying to pick and choose your opposition it's not exactly sending a positive message is it.

I'm sure Germany were very happy to be playing Korea in a must win game....

Post New Reply

Please Login or Create an account to post a reply.