The shame of FIFA - Don't be silent

Rusty Dunks
Phoenix Academy
FilledFilledEmptyEmptyEmpty
For post default

Well if everyone thought before they posted then no-one would post, yo

Tegal
Moderator
Head Sleuth
FilledFilledFilledFilledFilled
For post 6a831056 9031 45d7 8d6d 949589ae360d

Allegedly

Rusty Dunks
Phoenix Academy
FilledFilledEmptyEmptyEmpty
For post default

LOL - Thug life!

hepatitis
Starting XI
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post nix 1

I think the point of a campaign would be to raise awareness about the kafala system in the Gulf States by highlighting the fact that Qatar 2022 is being built on the back of slave labour and FIFA could stop this if they wanted to but they choose not to. That's the narrative. The boiled down messages that the ITUC are using (not that we have to follow suit if we have better ideas) are "don't shame the game" and "no World Cup without workers' rights" - that's the global campaign that already exists.

That is an opinion, not a fact

Tegal
Moderator
Head Sleuth
FilledFilledFilledFilledFilled
For post 6a831056 9031 45d7 8d6d 949589ae360d

care to post opposing evidence then? 

Allegedly

Napier Phoenix
Life and death
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post image

patrick478 wrote:

Rusty Dunks wrote:

I could do with a few slaves at my place, I tell you......renovating is a bastard, so a few experienced (bonded) workers wouldn't go astray

We have a rule on these forums that says "think before you post". I suggest you do exactly that before making another post like this one.

I'm pretty sure this was meant as a joke. Don't over react.
Napier Phoenix
Life and death
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post image

bwtcf
Marquee
FilledFilledFilledFilledEmpty
For post picture 7083
Hepititis - have you read the two interviews Enzo has posted earlier in this thread, or are you just reading the posts in this thread and commenting?

Incredible stamina. No shame. Yellow Fever.

Phoenix fans. We have to win them over one fan at a time.

Oska
Marquee
FilledFilledFilledFilledEmpty
For post paul ifill o

hepatitis wrote:

I think the point of a campaign would be to raise awareness about the kafala system in the Gulf States by highlighting the fact that Qatar 2022 is being built on the back of slave labour and FIFA could stop this if they wanted to but they choose not to. That's the narrative. The boiled down messages that the ITUC are using (not that we have to follow suit if we have better ideas) are "don't shame the game" and "no World Cup without workers' rights" - that's the global campaign that already exists.

That is an opinion, not a fact

Definitely fact.

You know we belong together...

hepatitis
Starting XI
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post nix 1

bwtcf wrote:
Hepititis - have you read the two interviews Enzo has posted earlier in this thread, or are you just reading the posts in this thread and commenting?

Yes I have read them. 

I dont see it as "slavery", but certainly those workers have been taken advantage of, as many are in sweatshops around the world.

I dont believe that Fifa have the power to direct a country as to how it employs its workers, the condition of their housing and the visa rules.

And nor should they have.

Here is the info for the nearest connection with Qatar FYI

Embassy of the State of Qatar, Canberra


Street Address: 10 Akame Circuit, O'Malley, Canberra, ACT 2606
Postal Address: P O Box 664. Woden, ACT 2606
Telephone: (61 2) 6152 8888
Facsimile: (61 2) 6286 2209
Email: canberra@mofa.gov.qa
Office hours: 9.00 am-4.00 pm

Staff Details:


Mr Mohammed Abdullah Al-Jabir, Charge d'Affaires a.i. and Counsellor

Leggy
tradition and history
FilledFilledFilledFilledEmpty
For post picture 1332

patrick478 wrote:

Rusty Dunks wrote:

I could do with a few slaves at my place, I tell you......renovating is a bastard, so a few experienced (bonded) workers wouldn't go astray

We have a rule on these forums that says "think before you post". I suggest you do exactly that before making another post like this one.

I'm pretty sure this was meant as a joke. Don't over react.

Can't believe anyone would take this seriously.

If you are old and wise you were probably young and stupid

Oska
Marquee
FilledFilledFilledFilledEmpty
For post paul ifill o

hepatitis wrote:

bwtcf wrote:
Hepititis - have you read the two interviews Enzo has posted earlier in this thread, or are you just reading the posts in this thread and commenting?

Yes I have read them. 

I dont see it as "slavery", but certainly those workers have been taken advantage of, as many are in sweatshops around the world.

I dont believe that Fifa have the power to direct a country as to how it employs its workers, the condition of their housing and the visa rules.

And nor should they have.

Here is the info for the nearest connection with Qatar FYI

Embassy of the State of Qatar, Canberra


Street Address: 10 Akame Circuit, O'Malley, Canberra, ACT 2606
Postal Address: P O Box 664. Woden, ACT 2606
Telephone: (61 2) 6152 8888
Facsimile: (61 2) 6286 2209
Email: canberra@mofa.gov.qa
Office hours: 9.00 am-4.00 pm

Staff Details:


Mr Mohammed Abdullah Al-Jabir, Charge d'Affaires a.i. and Counsellor

So FIFA don't have the power to direct, but we should try ourselves anyway? And why shouldn't FIFA have a say as to whether "workers" are "taken advantage of" or not, espeicially when they are being used to put on FIFA's tournament? 

You know we belong together...

Tegal
Moderator
Head Sleuth
FilledFilledFilledFilledFilled
For post 6a831056 9031 45d7 8d6d 949589ae360d

they'd also know those visa rules/how they employ their workers etc when they awarded Qatar the World Cup. And must've known how the stadiums would be built. 

Allegedly

Oska
Marquee
FilledFilledFilledFilledEmpty
For post paul ifill o

I think you might be giving those who "voted" too much credit there.

You know we belong together...

Enzo Giordani
Phoenix Academy
FilledFilledEmptyEmptyEmpty
For post logosquare

hepatitis wrote:

bwtcf wrote:
Hepititis - have you read the two interviews Enzo has posted earlier in this thread, or are you just reading the posts in this thread and commenting?

Yes I have read them. 

I dont see it as "slavery", but certainly those workers have been taken advantage of, as many are in sweatshops around the world.

I dont believe that Fifa have the power to direct a country as to how it employs its workers, the condition of their housing and the visa rules.

And nor should they have.

Here is the info for the nearest connection with Qatar FYI

Embassy of the State of Qatar, Canberra


Street Address: 10 Akame Circuit, O'Malley, Canberra, ACT 2606
Postal Address: P O Box 664. Woden, ACT 2606
Telephone: (61 2) 6152 8888
Facsimile: (61 2) 6286 2209
Email: canberra@mofa.gov.qa
Office hours: 9.00 am-4.00 pm

Staff Details:


Mr Mohammed Abdullah Al-Jabir, Charge d'Affaires a.i. and Counsellor

You read the interview but you must have missed the part where Sharan Burrow talked about Russia changing their employment law to remove worker's rights in the dead of night at FIFA's behest. They do it when it suits them. You say FIFA shouldn't get a say in other countries' employment law - I can respect that point of view. But personally I do think when workers are dying at the rate they are in the construction industry in Qatar - and that's verifiable fact - then an organization like FIFA has a responsibility to not contribute towards that and take its business elsewhere if that doesn't stop. But even if they don't do that, then simply standing by and doing nothing is indefensible and we in NZ have an opportunity to send a message, and our silence in the face of that would reflect poorly on us too. Just my view.

whatever
WeeNix
FilledFilledEmptyEmptyEmpty
For post default

I could perhaps accept the sweat shop labour but what I find distressing is the many thousands of workers who die in accidents i.e. fall to their death from high rise constructions.

bwtcf
Marquee
FilledFilledFilledFilledEmpty
For post picture 7083

Okay so there's a divergence of opinion.

That's okay. I get that. I'm not trying to convert everyone to the way I see it. You're free to see it however you see it and think whatever you think.

However, for those of us who:

  • don't find it acceptable; and
  • are moved to protest about it

Let's discuss how we wish to express our disatisfaction?

There has been a suggestion made that we go to Qatar. That's one option.

I've also suggested white t shirts worn under our tops (which could then be removed to reveal the white t shirts underneath) with letters painted on them to spell out a protest slogan or message.

Any other ideas?

Anyone else apart from Enzo, Myself and Oska interested in doing something?

Incredible stamina. No shame. Yellow Fever.

Phoenix fans. We have to win them over one fan at a time.

Oska
Marquee
FilledFilledFilledFilledEmpty
For post paul ifill o

I'd wear something to games saying FIFA: END QATAR SLAVERY or similar.

You know we belong together...

AucklandPhoenix
Lawyerish
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post picture 8258

Just read that article - it's a good one.

I don't really think there is a choice is there? If you are going to be in the neighbourhood and attending a game then you need to do something. However small but the bigger the bang the better.

Auckland will rise once more

dairyflat
Starting XI
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post protest

Yakcall wrote:

I'm in two minds about this, while I don't like what is happening with FIFA and in Qatar. I'm not sure I want to do something to distract from having this great event in New Zealand.

Sounds like: Let's not cause a fuss...

It is worth making a fuss about -

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/dec/23/qatar-nepal-workers-world-cup-2022-death-toll-doha

Blatter may well turn up here:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/world-game/68379846/fifa-bosses-make-beeline-to-new-zealand-for-under20-world-cup.html

Edited by dairyflat May 13, 2015 21:31

Sahara libre! 

Post New Reply

Please Login or Create an account to post a reply.