Large kwblarge

EURO 2016

ConanTroutman
Marquee
FilledFilledFilledFilledEmpty
For post kyuss study  3

I guess we can all agree we want to see France smash Portugal in the final...

People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis. You can't trust people.

el grapadura
Moderator
Woof Woof
FilledFilledFilledFilledFilled
For post picture 1609

But the laws of the game clearly say it has to be deliberate. If the guidance says otherwise they should change the wording of the law

The laws have to strike the balance between not making every handball illegal (because something they're just completely unintentional and unavoidable, and you don't want to incentivise attacking players to start smashing the ball into defenders' hands when they're in the box rather than trying to score), but also not allowing players to impede progress of the ball by placing their arms in the (likely) path of the ball and then claiming that the ball hit them, rather than them deliberately playing the ball - defenders could make themselves much bigger, and that would clearly have a major impact on the game.

Jerzy Merino
Marquee
FilledFilledFilledFilledEmpty
For post pirate mickey

It just raises deep philosophical questions about what is natural and what is not. At what point in evolutionary history did humans become unnatural?

"At the end of the drive the lawmen arrive...

I'll take my chance because luck is on my side or something...

Her name is Rio, she don't need to understand...

Oh Rio, Rio, hear them shout across the land..."

Bullion
Starting XI
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post 96760213 m 2

el grapadura wrote:

Bullion wrote:

Not blaming the ref, just saying on a different day in a different stadium I could see those calls going the other way. Germany paid the price for. Their lack of a genuine striker. They were also lucky to not concede another when Boateng did his obligatory dangerous error and let Giroud clean throough

Loew had identified a couple of things before the tournament, teams don't press and harder to break down and has lamented the development of players in Germany hasn't produced that many that can beat the opposition with ball at their feet and also picked Gomez for games like this. 

Bad errors from Germany resulting in goals, France not making errors - it was a very Mourinho-esque big game performance.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/apr...

As average as Gomez is, Germany have looked 10 times better with him in the line-up than without at this tournament. They'll need to solve that problem if they want to retain their world title in 2 years' time.

France is a team that's actually still on the up - and once they iron out some of their defensive problems, they could be the dominant world team over the next 5 years or so.

Germany did have the 2nd youngest squad at the Euro's, even guys like Hummels and Boateng could still be there abouts for the 2022 WC.

Bullion
Starting XI
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post 96760213 m 2

el grapadura wrote:

Bullion wrote:

Not blaming the ref, just saying on a different day in a different stadium I could see those calls going the other way. Germany paid the price for. Their lack of a genuine striker. They were also lucky to not concede another when Boateng did his obligatory dangerous error and let Giroud clean throough

Loew had identified a couple of things before the tournament, teams don't press and harder to break down and has lamented the development of players in Germany hasn't produced that many that can beat the opposition with ball at their feet and also picked Gomez for games like this. 

Bad errors from Germany resulting in goals, France not making errors - it was a very Mourinho-esque big game performance.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/apr...

As average as Gomez is, Germany have looked 10 times better with him in the line-up than without at this tournament. They'll need to solve that problem if they want to retain their world title in 2 years' time.

I don't know why Loew didn't pick a Kiessling/Meier type player in the squad to cover for Gomez. 

el grapadura
Moderator
Woof Woof
FilledFilledFilledFilledFilled
For post picture 1609

Yeah, Loew never seemed a big fan of Kiessling, even when he was younger and banging them in at club level. Are there any up and coming, young, German centre-forwards, I haven't been following the Bundesliga very closely the last couple of years?

ConanTroutman
Marquee
FilledFilledFilledFilledEmpty
For post kyuss study  3

el grapadura wrote:

But the laws of the game clearly say it has to be deliberate. If the guidance says otherwise they should change the wording of the law

The laws have to strike the balance between not making every handball illegal (because something they're just completely unintentional and unavoidable, and you don't want to incentivise attacking players to start smashing the ball into defenders' hands when they're in the box rather than trying to score), but also not allowing players to impede progress of the ball by placing their arms in the (likely) path of the ball and then claiming that the ball hit them, rather than them deliberately playing the ball - defenders could make themselves much bigger, and that would clearly have a major impact on the game.

Agreed. But if "deliberate" is interpreted as "arm/hand in an unnatural position" then why not just change the LOTG to say the second definition instead of the first? It'll still be subjective but at least it's what the refs are actually looking for.

People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis. You can't trust people.

Bullion
Starting XI
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post 96760213 m 2

el grapadura wrote:

Yeah, Loew never seemed a big fan of Kiessling, even when he was younger and banging them in at club level. Are there any up and coming, young, German centre-forwards, I haven't been following the Bundesliga very closely the last couple of years?

Meier and Kiessling are both the wrong side of 30, Meier was top goal scorer a couple of seasons back. No young centre forwards in that mold have made an impact at Bundesliga level.

They have struggled for a long time to produce strikers, apart from the two mentioned above only Klose and Gomez are German nationals that have been top scorer in the Bundesliga in the past 15 yrs.

el grapadura
Moderator
Woof Woof
FilledFilledFilledFilledFilled
For post picture 1609

el grapadura wrote:

But the laws of the game clearly say it has to be deliberate. If the guidance says otherwise they should change the wording of the law

The laws have to strike the balance between not making every handball illegal (because something they're just completely unintentional and unavoidable, and you don't want to incentivise attacking players to start smashing the ball into defenders' hands when they're in the box rather than trying to score), but also not allowing players to impede progress of the ball by placing their arms in the (likely) path of the ball and then claiming that the ball hit them, rather than them deliberately playing the ball - defenders could make themselves much bigger, and that would clearly have a major impact on the game.

Agreed. But if "deliberate" is interpreted as "arm/hand in an unnatural position" then why not just change the LOTG to say the second definition instead of the first? It'll still be subjective but at least it's what the refs are actually looking for.

The interpretations have now been included in the LotG. Also, obviously 'arm not in natural position' isn't the only consideration, but it has to be one of them.

Mainland FC
Starting XI
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post pogon szczecin

From what I saw in the second half France could have easily caused Germany more problems after they've scored the second goal. However, the huge difference was their decent defence against a rather pedestrian German attack.  Not even a single one goal from Germany.

Edited by Mainland FC July 08, 2016 20:32

Actually, getting outplayed quite a bit these days

For post default

Loew reckons the Germans were the better team after losing 2 - 0...Anyhow Portugal will beat the French in the final...Really impressed with young Sanches and Ronaldo is firing !

Edited by kiwiMalaysia42 July 08, 2016 16:30
ConanTroutman
Marquee
FilledFilledFilledFilledEmpty
For post kyuss study  3

I don't like Ronaldo and I want France to win but I still feel sorry for the guy seeing him struggling to play and then being stretchered off. Sharkty way for your big night to end

People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis. You can't trust people.

number8
Starting XI
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post flag
No winner this year, I would not mind. Don't like the football.
ConanTroutman
Marquee
FilledFilledFilledFilledEmpty
For post kyuss study  3

yawn

People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis. You can't trust people.

ConanTroutman
Marquee
FilledFilledFilledFilledEmpty
For post kyuss study  3

People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis. You can't trust people.

liberty_nz
Budgie lover
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post king mo

did not see that coming

Sanday
Starting XI
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post picture 316

What was that.Seriously Eder.

Buffon II
Legend
FilledFilledFilledFilledFilled
For post 41fb1ce000000578 4660746 image m 2 1499071218717

Knew this would happen.

Three for me, and two for them.

liberty_nz
Budgie lover
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post king mo

and wasn't it eder's handball rather than Koscielny?

For post default

Fantastic goal Eder....who needs Ronaldo!!

Post New Reply

Please Login or Create an account to post a reply.