Effecting Change at NZF

Feverish
Legend
FilledFilledFilledFilledFilled
For post picture 6
reg22 wrote:
Feverish wrote:
terminator_x wrote:

For those of us in Wellington the current Capital Football Board is:

Chairman Chris Canton

Deputy Chairman  Phil Barry      

Dave Trueman                                  

David Taylor                                  

Guy Smith                                  

Helen Mallon                                  

Jess Fraser                                  

Paul Houliston                                  

Steve Stevens

Again, I'm not sure who the elected members are or what clubs they are affiliated with.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-4205-0-0-0&sID=233951

Erase at least Smith and Stevens from that list.

Oh and I giggled that you said you vote for your club committee



is smith no longer on board?
no. um long story. nor Steve Stevens

Founder

Napier Phoenix
Life and death
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post image

So he wasn't allowed back onto the board AFTER COMING OUT OF JAIL ON THOSE 'CHARGES'?

Smithy
Moderator
Stage Punch
FilledFilledFilledFilledFilled
For post wewant7
reg22 wrote:
Feverish wrote:
terminator_x wrote:

For those of us in Wellington the current Capital Football Board is:

Chairman Chris Canton

Deputy Chairman  Phil Barry      

Dave Trueman                                  

David Taylor                                  

Guy Smith                                  

Helen Mallon                                  

Jess Fraser                                  

Paul Houliston                                  

Steve Stevens

Again, I'm not sure who the elected members are or what clubs they are affiliated with.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-4205-0-0-0&sID=233951

Erase at least Smith and Stevens from that list.

Oh and I giggled that you said you vote for your club committee



is smith no longer on board?


Correct. Steve and I resigned. I was naughty and abused a referee while coaching, was subsequently suspended, and the Board took the view that it should be a hanging offence. So I resigned. It was all pretty amicable although I think they over-reacted. 


Steve resigned in absentia at same meeting.


Jess Fraser and Paul Houliston joined in the last few months and both of them impressed me. Phil Barry and Dave Trueman are also very sharp.

Edited by Smithy October 10, 2013 10:47

Incredible stamina. No shame. Yellow Fever.

terminator_x
Still Believin'
FilledFilledFilledFilledEmpty
For post picture 47

So Smithy, are able to fill us in on who's currently appointed and who's elected?

And have you and Steve been replaced, or are there vacancies at the moment?


Smithy
Moderator
Stage Punch
FilledFilledFilledFilledFilled
For post wewant7
terminator_x wrote:

So Smithy, are able to fill us in on who's currently appointed and who's elected?

And have you and Steve been replaced, or are there vacancies at the moment?


I thought this was about NZF?

Steve was elected. I was co-opted. So Steve's resignation will trigger an election at the next AGM. 

Incredible stamina. No shame. Yellow Fever.

terminator_x
Still Believin'
FilledFilledFilledFilledEmpty
For post picture 47
Smithy wrote:
terminator_x wrote:

So Smithy, are able to fill us in on who's currently appointed and who's elected?

And have you and Steve been replaced, or are there vacancies at the moment?


I thought this was about NZF?


Steve was elected. I was co-opted. So Steve's resignation will trigger an election at the next AGM. 



If it's about effecting change at NZF, and the Federations elect three of seven NZF Board members, then it is also about understanding how to influence your Federation's vote at the NZF Congress. That involves knowing who is on your Federation Board and, in particular, who is elected and therefore (in theory, not always in practice) a representative of the clubs.


It beggars belief that despite all the "NZF are shit" platitudes nobody really seems to understand or care about this stuff. It seems people would rather donate $10 and write a derisory comment on Givealittle.com than actually try and engage in any meaningful sense.


It's been said before but we really do get the football governance we deserve in this country.


Edited by terminator_x October 11, 2013 15:26

terminator_x
Still Believin'
FilledFilledFilledFilledEmpty
For post picture 47

This article offers a few nice little insights into the current issues at NZF from Sport NZ's point of view:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/9269511/Miskimmin-All-Whites-have-mountain-to-climb

I think Miskimmin's right to point out that NZF are responsible for a lot more than just the All Whites and in grassroots and the elite women's game they have been doing pretty well. I guess if you are sexist and/or elitist you might not think those areas are important but as a Govt body that certainly won't be Sport NZ's view.

It's also good to hear that they (Sport NZ) are apparently closely involved with the search for a new Chief Exec - I hope so. In fact, when you think about all the money they put into football anyway I reckon one of the most cost-effective things they could do in relation to football would be to top up the CE's salary. An extra $100k could be the difference between getting a good or a great CE and would probably generate a pretty good return-on-investment for Sport NZ, compared to some of their other funding.

I also thought it was interesting that given the chance to criticise the governance of NZF and the high turnover of CEs he chose not to. Sport NZ have never pulled any punches in the past when they've been unhappy.

Jeff Vader
Cock
FilledFilledFilledFilledFilled
For post capture1
terminator_x wrote:

This article offers a few nice little insights into the current issues at NZF from Sport NZ's point of view:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/9269511/Miskimmin-All-Whites-have-mountain-to-climb

I think Miskimmin's right to point out that NZF are responsible for a lot more than just the All Whites and in grassroots and the elite women's game they have been doing pretty well. I guess if you are sexist and/or elitist you might not think those areas are important but as a Govt body that certainly won't be Sport NZ's view.

It's also good to hear that they (Sport NZ) are apparently closely involved with the search for a new Chief Exec - I hope so. In fact, when you think about all the money they put into football anyway I reckon one of the most cost-effective things they could do in relation to football would be to top up the CE's salary. An extra $100k could be the difference between getting a good or a great CE and would probably generate a pretty good return-on-investment for Sport NZ, compared to some of their other funding.

I also thought it was interesting that given the chance to criticise the governance of NZF and the high turnover of CEs he chose not to. Sport NZ have never pulled any punches in the past when they've been unhappy.

*off topic* I asked this very same question in the football ferns thread of which only Feverish really kinda answered. How is it that the womens team get good results and the men are shit. Yes I get that there is less competition and but they must be doing something better than the mens programmes to get these results

Grumpy old bastard alert

reg22
Starting XI
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post default
terminator_x wrote:
Smithy wrote:
terminator_x wrote:

So Smithy, are able to fill us in on who's currently appointed and who's elected?

And have you and Steve been replaced, or are there vacancies at the moment?


I thought this was about NZF?


Steve was elected. I was co-opted. So Steve's resignation will trigger an election at the next AGM. 



If it's about effecting change at NZF, and the Federations elect three of seven NZF Board members, then it is also about understanding how to influence your Federation's vote at the NZF Congress. That involves knowing who is on your Federation Board and, in particular, who is elected and therefore (in theory, not always in practice) a representative of the clubs.


It beggars belief that despite all the "NZF are shit" platitudes nobody really seems to understand or care about this stuff. It seems people would rather donate $10 and write a derisory comment on Givealittle.com than actually try and engage in any meaningful sense.


It's been said before but we really do get the football governance we deserve in this country.




that was a pretty daft thing to say, of course people care and we're also free to have an opinion about how our sport is run, be it good or bad.  and we don't have to spend our whole lives per-occupying ourselves with the ins and outs so that we feel entitled to have an opinion.  especially when the gaffs are very loud and clear.
Edited by reg22 October 11, 2013 18:17
Jeff Vader
Cock
FilledFilledFilledFilledFilled
For post capture1

I don't think its daft. Lets look at a couple of things

1: staring at the 4th CEO in 5 years. Anyone worth their salt will not touch that job - its up there with the Chelski gig

2: We have (it appears) a HP Manager that is making micky mouse calls at the last minute.

3: We have kids that have to pay to represent their country.

We've employed some chumps and get what we pay for

David Parker for the next CEO please.


 

Grumpy old bastard alert

reg22
Starting XI
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post default

i may have misread what terminator was saying

i though terminator was alluding to us deserving poor governance because of our appathy

AucklandPhoenix
Lawyerish
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post picture 8258
You read his comment correctly and his post was a good one


Auckland will rise once more

terminator_x
Still Believin'
FilledFilledFilledFilledEmpty
For post picture 47
reg22 wrote:

i may have misread what terminator was saying

i though terminator was alluding to us deserving poor governance because of our appathy


No mis-reading. That's exactly what I'm saying.


And I'm in no way having a crack at people's right to an opinion. What I am saying is that hardly anyone who has posted any criticism of NZF on this forum recently will actually do a single practical thing about changing the situation (and sorry, but giving $10 to the U17s and writing "NZF are a disgrace" in the comments doesn't cut it for me).


Let me ask this:

Is anybody even aware of which NZF Board members are elected?

Does anybody know which ones are up for re-election at the next NZF Congress?

Does anyone have any idea who their Federation intends to a) nominate b) vote for, at the next Congress? (Or even at the last Congress?)

Has anybody ever bothered to read the NZF rules to find out more about how the process works and how to influence it?


If we can't answer simple questions like this then yes, we get the governance we deserve.


Edited by terminator_x October 11, 2013 19:37

reg22
Starting XI
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post default

oh, ok.  because i have no personal interest in ever being involved, i don't make it my priority to know these processes.

that's not to say that others don't

i gather from your latest post that i have the right to have an opinion, which is cool.

but you also seem to be saying that i have the right to expect bad governance because i don't know the processes?  i can sort of see your point, but i think this comment needs to be reserved for those who consider themselves good enough to step up and have a passion to do so and are holding back from doing so.

reg22
Starting XI
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post default

i should add, that if someone i knew and trusted did take affirmative action, i'd definitely be open to knowing the processes that could help them step up.

chopah
Starting XI
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post 2006 05 05 07.33.00 1
Jeff Vader wrote:

I don't think its daft. Lets look at a couple of things

1: staring at the 4th CEO in 5 years. Anyone worth their salt will not touch that job - its up there with the Chelski gig

2: We have (it appears) a HP Manager that is making micky mouse calls at the last minute.

3: We have kids that have to pay to represent their country.

We've employed some chumps and get what we pay for

David Parker for the next CEO please.


 


not sure about David Parker, deserves a look in but not sure he is a strong enough character for the NZF gig.
DKP22
Starting XI
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post am
Jeff Vader wrote:
terminator_x wrote:

This article offers a few nice little insights into the current issues at NZF from Sport NZ's point of view:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/9269511/Miskimmin-All-Whites-have-mountain-to-climb

I think Miskimmin's right to point out that NZF are responsible for a lot more than just the All Whites and in grassroots and the elite women's game they have been doing pretty well. I guess if you are sexist and/or elitist you might not think those areas are important but as a Govt body that certainly won't be Sport NZ's view.

It's also good to hear that they (Sport NZ) are apparently closely involved with the search for a new Chief Exec - I hope so. In fact, when you think about all the money they put into football anyway I reckon one of the most cost-effective things they could do in relation to football would be to top up the CE's salary. An extra $100k could be the difference between getting a good or a great CE and would probably generate a pretty good return-on-investment for Sport NZ, compared to some of their other funding.

I also thought it was interesting that given the chance to criticise the governance of NZF and the high turnover of CEs he chose not to. Sport NZ have never pulled any punches in the past when they've been unhappy.

*off topic* I asked this very same question in the football ferns thread of which only Feverish really kinda answered. How is it that the womens team get good results and the men are shit. Yes I get that there is less competition and but they must be doing something better than the mens programmes to get these results

The New Zealand-based Ferns (the ones in Auckland at least) do get together on quite a regular basis to train. That could be one reason at least.
james dean
Marquee
FilledFilledFilledFilledEmpty
For post normo

Let's be realistic - Women's football is completely different level of competition to Men's, there is no way that you could run a programme for the men the same as the women (i.e. use predominantly home based players) and be successful - therefore the two really aren't comparable.

Normo's coming home

Marto
Starting XI
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post picture 1026
james dean wrote:

Let's be realistic - Women's football is completely different level of competition to Men's, there is no way that you could run a programme for the men the same as the women (i.e. use predominantly home based players) and be successful - therefore the two really aren't comparable.



I also think they get a good dollop of financial support from Sport NZ as they as seen as a team with potential on the world stage. 

Plus I image most women are not prima-donnas like the men so don't expect first class flights, 6 star hotels etc and don't have their clubs on their back because of the crazy salaries the're on.

Supporter world's best and worst football teams: Waikato/WaiBop, Kingz, Knights, Phoenix, The Argyle, The Whites & the All Whites

2ndBest
Moderator
Fever Funder Appiah without the pace
FilledFilledFilledFilledFilled
For post 1620805 10152445803254239 1114551251 n
james dean wrote:

Let's be realistic - Women's football is completely different level of competition to Men's, there is no way that you could run a programme for the men the same as the women (i.e. use predominantly home based players) and be successful - therefore the two really aren't comparable.

Pretty sure only 2 players out of the sqaud that beat Brazil play in NZ.

Post New Reply

Please Login or Create an account to post a reply.