All Whites vs Peru | First leg | Sat 11 Nov | 4:15pm | RoF

Marto
Starting XI
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post picture 1026

Jeff Vader wrote:

Wood_9 wrote:
I've been lurking this forum for a long time and.....
See that’s where you went wrong cause at least now we know for sure that you have no clue.

How anyone can say “that’s not a good result” when the odds are so heavily against us is fudgeing clueless.

They are expected dominate and win this tie easily

They are ranked 100 places ahead of us

We were expected to capitulate

Man for man, they beat us in 9 maybe 8 matchups for talent head to head

We have a 0-0 draw and that’s a bad result? 

What were you expecting, a 3-0 win to NZ

That’s probably our best result ever in our history against a team ranked that high (I say probably because I do not know for sure)

Go back to lurking

Um, draw with Italy in 2010 when they were defending champs? 

1: Win against Serbia (10th then)

2: Draw with Italy

Supporter world's best and worst football teams: Waikato/WaiBop, Kingz, Knights, Phoenix, The Argyle, The Whites & the All Whites

Argie-
WeeNix
FilledFilledEmptyEmptyEmpty
For post sp3

Jerzy Merino wrote:

I had a drink in Cuba Mall with a couple Argentinians afterwards and they said Wood was just the striker they needed. I said, hell you guys have got Messi. Yes they said, but he's no good for us. 

#neversatisfed

Argentina has been having trouble finding a decent striker since 2014. Higuain, Dybala, Icardi and Benedetto all were pretty poor since then. Who knows, maybe Wood is the answer

Rosario Central, the All Whites, Waitakere United and the mighty Phoenix! speaker of engrish

SC_1997
Trialist
FilledEmptyEmptyEmptyEmpty
For post default

Argie- wrote:

Jerzy Merino wrote:

I had a drink in Cuba Mall with a couple Argentinians afterwards and they said Wood was just the striker they needed. I said, hell you guys have got Messi. Yes they said, but he's no good for us. 

#neversatisfed

Argentina has been having trouble finding a decent striker since 2014. Higuain, Dybala, Icardi and Benedetto all were pretty poor since then. Who knows, maybe Wood is the answer

Lucas Alario has not been tried yet ;)

Lonegunmen
Legend
FilledFilledFilledFilledFilled
For post reacher

had to laugh at the Match programme. Reid was born in in 1999. I didn't know he was only 18 years old. Impressive for one so young.

165 Consecutive "Home" Wellington Phoenix "A League" Games Attendee   

Big Pete 65
Starting XI
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post sumner

maynardf wrote:

djtim3000 wrote:

djtim3000 wrote:

Thomas is going to be a star. Easily our best on the field.

Apologies for bumping my own post, but I'm a huge Thomas fan. He's better than the Eredivisie. That run at the end (despite the mis-kick) after running non-stop for 90+ minutes...

just spoke about this with a good friend - i think he has the ability and drive to replace rufer as our best ever

That's a big call - not only was Rufer a starting player for one of the better teams at the time in one of Europe's Big Four Leagues, but he was one of the best strikers in the Bundesliga in the early nineties. Won the Bundesliga. Joint top goal-scorer in the Champions League in '93 - '94.

The Germany coach at the time, Berti Vogts, said straight out that if Rufer was German he would have been starting for Germany. And that was in a team that went on to win the European Championship in '96.

Lets see if Thomas can get a contract in one of the Big Four leagues first....

Big Pete 65, Christchurch

Big Pete 65
Starting XI
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post sumner

Balbi wrote:

346,000 TV audience reported, about 7% of NZ tuning in.

Add the 38,000 in the ground, not a bad mark.

"It was the Sunday morning rugby test match in Paris that drew the biggest television audience with 482,600 tuning in to see a classic game of two halves with the All Blacks eventually beating a spirited French side 38-18.

AC Nielsen figures showed the rugby attracting nearly 100,000 more same day viewers than the Kiwis v Tonga Rugby League World Cup fixture, which got 394,400.

The All Whites v Peru World Cup qualifier had an audience of 346,500 to be the third most-watched sporting contest of the weekend.

Nothing else exceeded an audience of 60,000."

346,000 aint so bad when you consider that the rugby league was on at the same time and attracted 394,000.

You'd think that a lot more would have watched it`the league wasn't on.

Those figures include replays on Sky but not Prime TV's delayed coverage of the events.

When it coes to that, Prime's delayed coverage of the All Whites game didn't screen until 11.30 pm, after the League replay, which kind of sucks.

It's very sad though that the Phoenix game on Sunday night attracted less than 60,000 viewers.

And less than 8000 were at the stadium I think.

So, few of`the`people who attended the All Whites game could be described as committed followers of Kiwi football. 

Big Pete 65, Christchurch

Balbi
First Team Squad
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post ezgif 4 3a6948264936

Or they just weren't Nix fans and probably don't have a connection to their local National League franchise either.

Express Football Special Calling At

Fratton Park - Champion Hill - Kiwitea St

And all away grounds inbetween.

happydays
Phoenix Academy
FilledFilledEmptyEmptyEmpty
For post default

Big Pete 65 wrote:

maynardf wrote:

djtim3000 wrote:

djtim3000 wrote:

Thomas is going to be a star. Easily our best on the field.

Apologies for bumping my own post, but I'm a huge Thomas fan. He's better than the Eredivisie. That run at the end (despite the mis-kick) after running non-stop for 90+ minutes...

just spoke about this with a good friend - i think he has the ability and drive to replace rufer as our best ever

That's a big call - not only was Rufer a starting player for one of the better teams at the time in one of Europe's Big Four Leagues, but he was one of the best strikers in the Bundesliga in the early nineties. Won the Bundesliga. Joint top goal-scorer in the Champions League in '93 - '94.

The Germany coach at the time, Berti Vogts, said straight out that if Rufer was German he would have been starting for Germany. And that was in a team that went on to win the European Championship in '96.

Lets see if Thomas can get a contract in one of the Big Four leagues first....

At the same age though Rufer was establishing himself in the Swiss League. Agree that he has a long way to go but you can also make a case for Wood upstaging him if his progress continues at the same rate. And that can only be a good thing for us - nice to be having the discussion!

Big Pete 65
Starting XI
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post sumner

I was impressed by the AW's performance.

By far the best they've been under Hudson.

Everyone played pretty well.

The wing backs were the biggest surprise - neither Colvey nor Wynne had impressed previously such as the Confeds Cup but did a good job on Saturday.

Reid, Smith and Boxall were an excellent back three, in that order of ability. Reid is like two players.

Marinovich looked troubled by nothing - even Peru's best efforts didn't phase him.

Thomas had probably his best game in an All Whites shirt - he's been good right from the beginning of his Eredivisie career (scoring that brace against Ajax in the Dutch Cup Final in 2013 months after making the Zwolle first team) but this season he's reaching a new level in Holland afer being hampered by injuries last season and has been crucial in Zwolle's run to third on the Dutch table.

Rojas had some good moments and combined well at times with Thomas and Kosta.

Kosta's never likely to score much at this level (neither are Rojas nor Thomas) but he battled gamely.

Wee Mac's contribution was huge and he seems to have added a new level of aggression to his game that wasn't there before - it was there on his face - you'd be scared if you met him in a dark alley looking that determined and aggressive.  

Even a half fit Wood looked capable of scoring at any minute in his twenty minute cameo.

Roll on Lima - at least we're in with a chance !!!  

Big Pete 65, Christchurch

Lonegunmen
Legend
FilledFilledFilledFilledFilled
For post reacher

I have to laugh now days, Rufer couldn't get a work permit to play for Norwich but went onto better things. Now, you'll be looking hard to find more than a couple of "Locals" in the starting line ups for any of the top 6 teams. How times have changed. Rufer could have done well in England but I think he certainly did the very best in Germany.

165 Consecutive "Home" Wellington Phoenix "A League" Games Attendee   

james dean
Marquee
FilledFilledFilledFilledEmpty
For post normo

Big Pete 65 wrote:

I was impressed by the AW's performance.

By far the best they've been under Hudson.

Everyone played pretty well.

The wing backs were the biggest surprise - neither Colvey nor Wynne had impressed previously such as the Confeds Cup but did a good job on Saturday.

Reid, Smith and Boxall were an excellent back three, in that order of ability. Reid is like two players.

Marinovich looked troubled by nothing - even Peru's best efforts didn't phase him.

Thomas had probably his best game in an All Whites shirt - he's been good right from the beginning of his Eredivisie career (scoring that brace against Ajax in the Dutch Cup Final in 2013 months after making the Zwolle first team) but this season he's reaching a new level in Holland afer being hampered by injuries last season and has been crucial in Zwolle's run to third on the Dutch table.

Rojas had some good moments and combined well at times with Thomas and Kosta.

Kosta's never likely to score much at this level (neither are Rojas nor Thomas) but he battled gamely.

Wee Mac's contribution was huge and he seems to have added a new level of aggression to his game that wasn't there before - it was there on his face - you'd be scared if you met him in a dark alley looking that determined and aggressive.  

Even a half fit Wood looked capable of scoring at any minute in his twenty minute cameo.

Roll on Lima - at least we're in with a chance !!!  

I agree with much of this, big concern for me is if they press us in this next game we could see a lot less of the ball and with that pressure comes mistakes

Normo's coming home

martinb
Marquee
FilledFilledFilledFilledEmpty
For post default

Marto wrote:

Jeff Vader wrote:

Wood_9 wrote:
I've been lurking this forum for a long time and.....
See that’s where you went wrong cause at least now we know for sure that you have no clue.

How anyone can say “that’s not a good result” when the odds are so heavily against us is fudgeing clueless.

They are expected dominate and win this tie easily

They are ranked 100 places ahead of us

We were expected to capitulate

Man for man, they beat us in 9 maybe 8 matchups for talent head to head

We have a 0-0 draw and that’s a bad result? 

What were you expecting, a 3-0 win to NZ

That’s probably our best result ever in our history against a team ranked that high (I say probably because I do not know for sure)

Go back to lurking

Um, draw with Italy in 2010 when they were defending champs? 

1: Win against Serbia (10th then)

2: Draw with Italy

Friendly can't be ahead of a World Cup game

pacy

Argie-
WeeNix
FilledFilledEmptyEmptyEmpty
For post sp3

martinb wrote:

Marto wrote:

Jeff Vader wrote:

Wood_9 wrote:
I've been lurking this forum for a long time and.....
See that’s where you went wrong cause at least now we know for sure that you have no clue.

How anyone can say “that’s not a good result” when the odds are so heavily against us is fudgeing clueless.

They are expected dominate and win this tie easily

They are ranked 100 places ahead of us

We were expected to capitulate

Man for man, they beat us in 9 maybe 8 matchups for talent head to head

We have a 0-0 draw and that’s a bad result? 

What were you expecting, a 3-0 win to NZ

That’s probably our best result ever in our history against a team ranked that high (I say probably because I do not know for sure)

Go back to lurking

Um, draw with Italy in 2010 when they were defending champs? 

1: Win against Serbia (10th then)

2: Draw with Italy

Friendly can't be ahead of a World Cup game

A draw can't be ahead of a win

Rosario Central, the All Whites, Waitakere United and the mighty Phoenix! speaker of engrish

mrsmiis
First Team Squad
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post kmnocxjk

NZ 4-0 Mexico has got to be up there

coochiee
Starting XI
FilledFilledFilledEmptyEmpty
For post aonc cover

https://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/1077094...

I think I remember an out of town AWs fan swinging off this thing, about a year ago.

Post New Reply

Please Login or Create an account to post a reply.